Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Dry I Am

One thing you learn in a winter that is this cold for this long is how very much it sucks all the moisture out of you. Anchorage is drying on the skin even in the summer, and by this point in the year it is as dry as...well, as an extremely dry thing.
I happened to look at my hands about midafternoon, and they actually startled me. The last time I saw hands that scaly and horrifying they were attached to Boris Karloff and he was using them to pull himself out of a grave. Everyone at work has Family size lotion dispensers on their desks, and people wander around the office all day wringing their hands like Lady MacBeth -except trying to rub lotion in, not mourning their evil deed. At least in most cases. I halfway wonder if you can get lotion tubs put into houses so you can just lay in moisturizer and soak in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are leaving in 19 days to move to Wasilla from Scranton, PA. We have a three year old and we are all driving up. I appreciate all the insight you've shared.

Anonymous said...

I remember that! When we first moved there, I had constant (but not severe) nosebleeds from the dry air. And it was Summer!! That Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff works wonders for dry skin, but it can get a little pricey if you use it all the time. It's packs of colloidal oatmeal you add to your bath water and soak in ;) Love you!

Art and Jane said...

Sarah,
Drive careful and have a wonderful journey! I hope you and your family love Alaska as much as we do! Safe travels and Welcome!