Thursday, April 9, 2009

Earthquake!

Well, as those of you playing along from out of state may or may not know, this past Tuesday we had an earthquake! It was 4.6 or 4.7 (news reports varied) and originated roughly between here and Wasilla. I had felt slight shakes before a couple of times, but this was much more considerable in force.
It hit while we were at work, and shook us around pretty good. Later, I heard from a few people that they were scared, but I and everyone in my office found it kind of exhilarating. A second after we stopped shaking, one coworker actually let out an Anchorage cheer (Woooo!). This was kind of interesting to experience. I remember a couple of years ago, when I was still in Pa and my cousin Amie was living here (her husband is in the Army). I read on CNN that they had had an earthquake - I think it was a 2 or 3 pointer - and I sent her a panicky email checking on their safety. She responded with polite puzzlement, then said something along the lines of "Oh, yeah. I think I did feel a little shake."
When you have no experience with this type of phenomenon, you have no concept of what it really is like. At that point, I heard 3 point earthquake and pictured my loved ones trapped in the rubble of their home, bleeding into the phone as they tried desparately to get through to Emergency Services. When you are here, and you have the experience, you think to yourself. OK, 4.7. Woop!

No comments: