Thursday, April 2, 2009

New in the news

We haven't been doing much exciting, just going on with daily life - so here are some general Alaskan updates:

-Mt. Redoubt has been quiet this week in general. Apparently it is building up another lava dome, which will probably collapse and start another round of ash-spewing eruptions. The last time this happened, it went on for around 6 months. There's nothing saying that will happen this time, but that's what happened last time. For the most part, everyone just sort of gets on with their lives. Last Saturday, for example, there was light ashfall on Anchorage. How did the population deal with it? A lot of people went to the carwash the next day. A couple of people kept masks or their scarves over their faces if they were out walking around.

- Art and I went to see (and more to the point, hear) Chuck Klosterman speak at the University of Alaska Anchorage. I was a bit nervous about going to see him, though, because Art has not enjoyed his work overly much and also because whenever I actually see a famous person being themselves, they are always horrible people. I have never been in any kind of proximity to a public figure and liked them at all at the end of the experience. For the most part, I can't even watch them being interviewed. However, Chuck did a great job, and I actually like him more now than I did before I heard him speak. Art likes him better now, too. Anyway, the reason I am bringing this up is that he (CK) was commenting on getting to Anchorage, and said "I have never had plans of mine affected by, you know, pumice."

-Ted Stevens is exonerated! It turns out there was an interview with a star witness against him who had an earlier interview that totally contradicted everything he said in court. Somehow the prosecution sort of, I guess, forgot they had that, and the defense never got it. Details and play by play available, as always, on ADN. I'm glad Ted is cleared, and I hope we vote him back in next time. For those of you playing along at home, he was a very senior senator, and the state of Alaska lost a LOT of pull when he was railroaded out of office. Lying Feds!

-Spring is not here yet, but it's sure starting to look like it. We have something over 13 hours of daylight now. You can see patches of pavement poking through the deep layers of ice in parking lots. Now, I have been warned that this is not spring. In fact, this promise of spring is what suposedly pushed people over the edge. I personally feel fine - another month or so of winter is fine with me. We'll see how I feel this time next year, but I feel fine now!

No comments: