Saturday, July 26, 2008

Air Travel - getting there is NOT half the fun.

Jane here.

Well, I'm finally home again from my last work trip. I was finishing out a job for my soon-to-be previous employer which I have done. Thank God! Air travel, which used to range from fun to only mildly trying, has gotten absolutley hideous. Now in addition to the security measures (which I understand the purpose of but which are dreary and time-consuming and kind of humiliating for everyone involved) and the inevitable delays and cancellations, you can count on your flight being jammed to the rafters. In order to make each flight pay, the airlines have to fill every damn seat. This leads to the overselling of each flight, which the agents won't tell you that you're a standby, so that you have that excitement to look forward to on top of everything else. Also, since their extremely wise move of charging for each bag, every passenger seems to be trying to drag their every possession onto the plane with them, starting storage space wars that have to be seen to be believed. Now, I understand that airlines are businesses, and I understand that between fuel prices and the regulatory environment, they are hard pressed. But holy cats! There has to be some better way to handle all this stuff.
Part of the blame has to be put on the passengers - to all of you who will be getting on a plane at any point ever, I say this..."Be part of the solution and NOT part of the problem." Since so many people who travel seem to have been raised by wolves and therefore are not acquainted with some basic manners, here are Jane's rules for getting along on a plane.

1. Just check your damn bag. Check it. It will get there. Just pay the $15. Stop trying to jam a case the size of a refrigerator under the seat. It won't fit, so just grow up and check it.
2. When the steward/ess/es tell you to get to your seat and get out of the aisle so everyone else can proceed, just do it. You, personally, are the reason we will be getting out late. Sit down and shut up.
3. When it is time to turn off electronic devices, that means you too. Everyone staring at you while you finish your stupid coversation is not thinking what a powerful, successful person you are. We are thinking what a jerk you are and how much we hate you.
4. Unless you are a six foot tall person who is actually going to sleep, do not recline the seat. Yes, of course you can, but if you choose to, it means you are a selfish jerk. Personal space on a plane is extremely limited, and you are taking a significant amount of someone else's. This rule is suspended for a redeye, where EVERYONE is basically going to recline the seat.

There are probably more rules, but this is what I have now.
But as for me, I'm through. I'm home now, and I'm staying home. Sorry for the rant/diversion - I'm just really tired, and more than a little annoyed. Next post - more about Alaska!

No comments: