Saturday, July 12, 2008

DMV - hell no matter what state you are in...

Jane here.
So we went to the DMV today to get our Alaska licenses. We got up at the crack of dawn - not really, about 7 a.m. - to go to the DMV. Art had been advised by his coworkers that you really need to get the DMV immediately when it opens or else you will be there all day. So off we went, aiming to be there a bit before 9. We were, but it turns out it doesn't open until 10. So we goofed around for a while, went to Barnes and Noble to book shop, etc. When we got back, the parking lot had about 5 or 6 vehicles in it, and it was about 9:45. One guy showed up in a taxi and made his way to the door, which opened the floodgates. Then everyone had to get in line. We wound up as numbers 5 and 6, which was pretty good. A shouting lady told us what to do: fill out your form, come over the the info desk and I will give you the written test, then you go to the waiting area and sit until one of the stations (work desks) calls your number. I told Art "I know why this state has so many unlicensed drivers...this is too complicated already!" As the chaos of the initial rush settled down, we filled out our forms and went with our ID documents to the lady who would give us the written tests. Then it all went to hell. Art's documents were fine, so he was allowed to proceed. I, on the other hand, had only my social security card, my driver's license from PA, my hospital-issued birth certificate and proof of address. Nothing doing - I need a state-issued birth certificate. Well, I don't have one. I will have to see what I have to do to get that now, but it's going to be fun, that much I know for sure. Anyway, Art passed the written test - he said it was hard, though we had been through the practice test online a couple of times. However, the waiting part was not as horrendous as it could have been. Because we got there early, he was able to go almost right away to the next stop, which was a lady at a station. So after a while of that, then he got his picture taken, and then waited some more for the license to print. And then we were free!

Then we had some lunch at the Moose's Tooth brew pub and pizzaria, which was excellent. After that we went to Title Wave bookstore. There are a couple of these bookstores in Anchorage, and they are excellent! The have a broad variety of books, both new and used, as well as some music (not a huge selection) and movies. Also, they have a lot of neat gift and toys - Anne Taintor stuff, Archie McPhee toys, etc. But the best part is the books - they have a lot of both fiction and non-fiction and a big section of Alaskiana. I always find something interesting there, and it's a fun store. After that, we went back to the Alaska Botanical Garden. We had been there before and really liked it. About a month had passed since we were there, and it was neat to see how much some of the plants had grown, and which flowers are in bloom now.

So anyway, I'm counting the day as a semi-success. Art got his license, and since he is working in Anchorage and I am still coming and going for my job, if one of us had to get their license ASAP it was him. At least I got some pizza and book shopping in the day, and I guess that's something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had problems getting mine too when we lived there. We somehow didn't have a seal on our marriage certificate, so they wouldn't issue it in my married name. The certificate was good enough for a military ID and my social security card to get changed, but I guess not good enough for the Alaska DMV even though all my other documents had my married name. My license STILL has my maiden name on it, but it expires this September, so when I get a new one here, I'll finally have the same name on everything because we eventually got another copy of the certificate with the seal. Only took 8 years...lol. I passed the test on the first try, but even though I studied good and hard, I would have failed if I got one more wrong. All the numbers ones like blood alcohol level, etc. mess with my head.