Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hi All, Art here. Long -time-no-blog. Things have been busy here since our stuff arrived from PA. There's alot of organizing, putting away and getting reaquainted. Also there is some re-evaluating going on. Some things that you haven't seen in 2-months make you wonder; why did we pay to ship THIS here?
The weather here has been cool and VERY rainy. I'm told it's unusual for summer and that the rainy season is Aug/Sept. I think at this point its been cloudy for about 2 weeks. That said, it's over 90 & humid in PA so I'm not minding the coolness. The locals, who look forward all winter to the short summer, are getting kinda bitter about it. The Joke is; "I did summer in Alaska......both days!"
So, with Jane being away, I'm spending my time indoors, setting up the apartment as best I can in my 'guy' way. Almost everything made it here and very little was damaged. A few words about our moving team:
The originator in PA, L&J Movers in Reading, were very disappointing. Their cost/weight estimate was way off which cost us hundreds of extra-$$. Then they neglected to pay the transfer company in WA, which delayed delivery.
The Transfer guys in WA, Worldpack, put a hold on our delivery which is perfectly understandable. My beef with them is that they didn't contact me to inform me that L&J hadn't payed them! When I finally called them, it was a simple matter to call L&J and demand action.
The delivery agent here in Anchorage, Alison's Relocation, was mostly OK. The delivery guys were very good. Thanks again Rob & Sam! The company though, I would describe as unresponsive. They did only one time return a phone call from me. Guys, is it so much trouble to pick up the phone?...
Anyway, we are almost all the way here. Jane is off in FL again on another 2-week work trip. Once she finds a job up here, we'll be Alaskans in toto......
I'm missing you, Jane!

No comments: