Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Real life sets in

Jane here. (Actually, it is usually me writing, so assume it's always Jane unless Art specifically says it's him.)
Well, after a few months of being here a week at a time while I finished out my obligations at my now-previous employer, I am now here in Anchorage full time. I am also unemployed. So my job hunt begins. I have been looking for about a week now and have a few leads, but no offers. However, I took a day out last week to wander around midtown, which gave me a chance to meet Art for lunch and look around the stores and so on, which was pretty useful. I am also getting the chance to clean the apartment really well, which I plan to do any day now. Right now I'm...um...sending out resumes. But mainly what I'm doing is sending out resumes.

What's with these career sites on company webpages that have you first upload your resume, and then enter in all the same information field by extremely tedious field? Why can't they just read the darn resume you just sent in. I do dearly love the CareerBuilder quick apply feature - just click in the check boxes and apply to a bunch of jobs with one fell swoop! I also enjoy emailing my resume. I know I'll have to fill out the applications eventually if I get called for an interview, but to fill it out once online and then again in person is just insult to injury.

By and large, the jobs are just like jobs anywhere - or at least like they were in Pa. No dogsledding or whale-blubber processing jobs. At least not that I've seen in the paper!

No comments: