Monday, August 25, 2008

Shorter, cooler days

Not much doing with us. The Alaska State Fair is going on right now and we intended to go, but the weekend got a little hectic, so we wound up doing mostly house stuff, which is OK too. We will make it to the Fair next weekend, barring the unforseen. The main news is that we are moving more into fall - the days are shorter by a LOT. After getting used to the light nights, it is interesting how much normal evening times make use subconsciously hunker down for winter. Although it is only the end of August, we find ourselves saying things like "Make sure you have plenty to read" and "Make sure you are stocked up on hobby supplies" and "What kind of light bulbs keep you from going crazy and killing yourself? Let's make sure we have some of those!" Also, it is cooling down noticably. Although it was cool anyway, compared to most spots in the lower 48, the temperature is lower than it was over the "height" of summer.
I associate cool weather with fall, which is my favorite season. Saturday morning we went out early to do our grocery shopping and it was nippy enough that I needed a light jacket. It was so cool that I found myself thinking that I better start keeping an eye out (but not literally!) for those Halloween recipe and idea booklets that come out every fall. Then I reminded myself that it was still August. The funniest thing is that there was one out! So I guess the Taste of Home people like to jump the Halloween gun too...

No comments: