Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do do do do do do...

It's just another day.
And that's a good thing. We're finally settling in and settling down, and getting into a routine (more or less). Settled on a grocery store, settled on basic apartment organization...that sort of thing.

It is getting progressively colder, down to the 30's at night, and last week brought termination dust on the mountain tops. (Snow that signals termination of summer) We're at roughly 12 hours of daylight now - the sun rose this morning at 7:45 and sets tonight at 7:56. Of course it's hard to tell...it's basically cloudy all the time.

Another neat thing I have going on is I am going to be doing Crop For a Cure, which is a scrapbooking "marathon" to raise funds for cancer research. I am in strict training, and am now able to sit around for hours at a time, and also cut and glue things for quite a while before I have to take a breather. ;) People keep calling it a marathon, and I have to forcibly restrain myself from giggling. If there are snacks provided, this event will be about the farthest thing from a traditional marathon as it is possible to get, but the point is that it is a fundraiser for a good cause. So I guess I'll try real hard to keep the giggles to myself. I was going to go by myself, but some ladies from work told me I can sit with them, so that will be nice - it's a bit more comfortable when you are not alone at these things.

The best thing, though, is getting settled in our apartment. At our last house, we had a tiki room all set up-bamboo chairs, twinkle lights, tiki junk everywhere, water feature... I know, but it was so relaxing! So we brought all our stuff up along with us, but were just not able to organize things to our satisfaction. Finally, though, we made some decisions and the decorating is falling into place. Our tiki room is back! I know, huge news, but it is nice for us. It's like our relaxatron is back up and running!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea on the tiki room. My guest room has a Hawaii theme, but that's easy to do here! I love reading your blog, almost makes me miss AK. I'd miss it more if I didn't live here. Isn't the idaterod starting soon? (NO idea if I spelled that right)

Love you!

Art and Jane said...

Thanks! It is kind of goofy, but we love our tiki room so much...it is the most relaxing room in our house. Well, when you're done living in HI, then you should all come back here so we can do stuff together! The Iditarod ( I knew what you meant-spelling doesn't count) starts in March. But I'm told dog sled racing in general starts pretty soon. I intend to go to one at least because it seems pretty fun. Also I want to go the Fur Round-up/start of the Iditarod this winter. Love you too Ames!