Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Art festivals + Coldness = Good times!

As the year winds down, everyone gets less and less inclined to do much of anything at work. I guess that is not specific to Alaska, though :) As I am pretty new to my job, I don't have a lot of time to take off yet. Also, I am saving up time for Fur Rondy in late February (about which more in a later post) and a visit from my parents in Spring sometime. But almost everyone else is off, so I am kind of rattling around the place alone. It's pretty quiet, but fortunately I have some projects that I can work on better in peace.
However, Anchorage has a lot going on, some of which I hope to get to do. Going on right now is something called the FREEZE arts festival. As near as I can figure, it is basically an artistic celebration of being cold. It features things like ice sculpture installations and "beach parties" in the snow. It sounds like a HokeFest to me, so naturally I am looking forward to it a great deal. Also, I enjoy both art and being cold, so there you go - good times all around.
At the beginning of December, Anchorage has a film festival, which I and everyone at my job were all excited about. And then none of us went. It wasn't well publicized, and when I finally got a look at the movie list, it all looked pretty dire. Not dire like "dark and moody" - I am a David Lynch fan, so that doesn't bother me. I mean dire like "not very interesting". Longtime residents assured me that usually it is much better than that, and the movies are usually much better. I will be interested next year to see if they say the same thing.

No comments: