Sunday, December 14, 2008

Havin' a cold wave

Not a lot of really exciting stuff to report on right now. Work is very crazy for me right now - a big project was culminating, and tomorrow I get to see if all is well and calms down, or if it gets super-crazy. Super-crazy would be a bad thing. Should be interesting. Art's work is getting very busy too, which we sure aren't complaining about!
Other than that, the big news is that it's very cold. I know! Who would have imagined? Cold in Alaska? Will wonders never cease! But seriously, it's been hovering around the zero mark for a few days now. We have started keeping the car plugged in overnight now - you can get block heaters installed in your car, and most parking places have electrical outlets on them. So you just plug your car in and it stays warmish and that prevents problems. Well, cold related ones, anyway.
Another thing people do up here is you can get remote start devices installed in your car - according to my coworkers, this is a popular thing for spouses to give each other ! This allows you to start your car from inside the house, which on 0 degree days is a very good thing. It's kind of freaky if you out in the parking lot, scraping off your car (which believe me - you are) and suddenly cars are roaring to life all around you. You start thinking to yourself "I'm pretty sure there was that one Stephen King story that started this way... If I hear Highway to Hell, I'm running." It's kind of disconcerting, is all I'm saying.

No comments: