Friday, May 30, 2008

Here at Last!

Jane here.
And I do mean 'here'. I am finally with Art, in Alaska. Our stuff, most of it at least, lingers in Pa, but we are finally here together. It is so good to be together again - I didn't quite let myself feel how much I missed him, but I feel so much better being back together with him. We spent yesterday hanging around together and he showed me some of Anchorage. We didn't see the sights yet, other than what is all around, but rather our apartment, where he works, the grocery store that he thinks will suit us best, etc. We are hoping to do some touristy stuff this weekend, but if not, we will have time later.

First impressions of Alaska: it is very beautiful, and it is cooler than it would be in Pa right now. Anchorage itself is a bit more spacious, more spread out than most east coast cities are. There are very few tall buildings, most are only 2 or 3 stories, I suppose because of earthquakes, which are not wildly infrequent around here. There are gorgeous sights to see in almost every direction, most notably the mountains. They are much sharper peaks than in the east, and all still have snow about halfway down their sides. The air is much clearer here, and I think you can see farther than you can in PA.

I still catch myself thinking of PA as 'home' now and again, which is not unreasonable, as it was home for quite some time - my whole life, in fact. However, I am settling in quite nicely to this new home, and looking forward to the adventure!

No comments: