Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hi All, I'm back online!
It's been a harrowing few days! I got out of the dingy hotel, got into our new apartment, bought a car & mastered my depression. Yes, I hit rock bottom facing the enormity of our new life and the abscence of my ally, Jane. She talked me through the worst of it and I feel I've turned a corner of sorts. I still miss her powerfully but I'm feeling more stable. The little guy in my head who wants to run for the airport is all but vanquished.
Our new car is a Chevy Cavalier. I'm told they're good on gas-milage and with studded-snows will do fine in the winter. There is a nice bus system in town called the "people mover". With any luck we may be able to park the car for most of winter and commute on mass transit. With gas prices going up every day it sounds to me like smart. We do make gas here, I'm told there's a refinery near Fairbanks, but, our gas is just as expensive as in the lower 48.
The apartment is almost totally bare right now. I got us an inflatable bed, A TV, A vcr/dvd & a chair. That's it. The kitchen now has a microwave & a toaster so I can cook 'bachelor-chow'.
The weather continues to be right nice. 30s at night, 50s in the day with plenty of sun. i mean plenty, it's light until about 11pm and the sun comes back up at 5am! I'm told that during high summer there will be 19+ hours of daylight.
The cable internet is now online so i'm blogging at the speed of light!
It's now less than a week until Jane arrives. What a great day that'll be!

I got a pizza delivered for dinner tonight & surfed on my new hi-speed I-net. Here's why that's newsworthy; in our park that we're moving out of in PA, the pizza places wouldn't deliver because there were too many houses and the cable company wouldn't wire us for hi-speed because there weren't enough homes interested. Sooooooo; in order to get pizza delivery and cable-internet, we had to move to Alaska! Once again, so much for the ice-flow & whale-blubber crowd.......

more later

No comments: